Normally when I go grocery shopping, I never look at the magazines on the rack by the checkouts. But last week one day, the line was longer than usual and
this month's issue of Saveur caught my eye, with it's gorgeous fruity pink and chocolate iced donuts on the front cover. You can read a bunch of the articles on the magazine's website and save yourself 5 bucks. But this one is sure to be a collector's item if you pick up the physical copy ;)
It looks like we now have homework. Inside the magazine are 28 donut recipes and a list of 50 of the "best" donut shops in the US. Making the list in states we currently cover:
Illinois
- DatDonut, Chicago
- The Doughnut Vault, Chicago
- Old Fashioned Donuts, Chicago
Maine
- Congdon's Doughnuts, Wells
- Frosty's Donuts, Brunswick
Massachusetts
- Betty Ann Food Shop, East Boston
- Donut Dip, East Longmeadow
- Kane's Donuts, Saugus
- Marty's Donut Land, Ipswich
Michigan
- Cops & Doughnuts, Clare
- Friske Orchards, Atwood
- Sweetwater's Donut Mill, Kalamazoo
Minnesota
- Bloedow Bakery, Winona
- Lindstrom Bakery, Lindstrom
Pennsylvania
- Federal Donuts, Philadelphia
They only listed two of the donut shops we've been to -
Voodoo Doughnut in Portland, OR and
Federal Donuts in Philadelphia, PA (more coverage on Federal Donuts to come..I'm visiting Lucy next week). I'm a bit shocked that the iconic
Randy's in Inglewood, CA didn't make the list, but they did list 8 donut shops in California, so maybe it just didn't make the cut. *shrug* I haven't actually read the magazine yet, so I'll leave you with another pretty picture of glorious donuts:
I am remiss on reporting from New York... Will check out the list. I would love to make a trip up to the Lindstrom Bakery sometime!
ReplyDelete