Saturday, July 21, 2012

Sarah Jane's Bakery

Lesley and her fiance Derek are in Minneapolis this weekend for Christina's wedding. While everyone else was off getting ready for the wedding ceremony, we headed over to Sarah Jane's Bakery in Northeast Minneapolis for donuts.

We arrived at about 10:30 AM and were instantly greeted with a sandwich board boasting of the bakery's status as City Pages' #1 best donut in Minneapolis. This title comes from 2000 and 2003. Sarah Jane's has also been listed in the City Pages Five favorite Twin Cities doughnuts in 2011.

We ordered the following:

  • 2x raised glazed
  • Blueberry old fashioned
  • Apple fritter
  • Everything
  • Cinnamon sugar cake

The Review

Lesley

I would say that these donuts were pretty good to a person who doesn't really like donuts. And I really enjoyed the everything donut more than the other ones. The glazed was a little more dense than I wanted. On a more positive note, I thought the place had a really nice neighborhood feel and you could tell that the ladies behind the counter had just made the donuts that morning, were really friendly, and clearly knew their customers.

Derek

It was thoroughly satisfying but unspectacular. The one standout was the everything donut. That really pushed it to above average in my mind. It seemed just adequate until I tried that everything donut. That was really flavorful and good.

Renee

I was a little disappointed because there was a lot of hype. The donuts were good, but my mind was not blown. I was quite disappointed with the apple fritter, which is my favorite donut. There were only slight hints at any apple and I did not find any apple pieces in the fritter. However, to be fair, I've found very few apple fritters that live up to the gold standard set by Super John's Super Value in Waukesha, WI (may it rest in peace). The blueberry old fashioned was my favorite of the batch. The natural blueberry flavor was very powerful and nice.

Overall

The donuts were good. Nothing spectacular, but we'd recommend a stop at Sarah Jane's for a very solid donuts across the board in an extremely cute location.

1 comment:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.